I have been asked multiple times what is the quickest a person can change his or her state of mind. The easiest way to do so; in my humble opinion, is to change our Physiology.
Perhaps you have heard or read about the Mind-Body Connection, which explains the inseparable connection between the mind and body and how either one will modify the other. By altering your body’s physiology, you can achieve an immediate change of your emotional state. The mind will follow whatever state your physical body is in (although you must allow a couple seconds for the mind to adapt and translate the meaning of your new physiology).
In this blog, I will teach you a Neurolinguistic Programming exercise that will allow you to positively hack and then create a new constructive emotional state by just tweaking your body language and/or posture.
There are 2 parts to the exercise: the first part will deal if and only if you find yourself in a negative state. This stage will confuse the mind, and in the midst of that confusion it will break or interrupt the undesirable state.
Physiomental State Interruption
- Identify and name the negative state that you currently find yourself in (e.g., depressed, anxiety, unhappy, disheartened, unmotivated, etc.). Write it down.
- Quantize the negative state using a value system from 0 to 5 (0= no discomfort, 5 = the highest level of discomfort level. This is called the SUDS level – subjective units of distress). Write it down.
- Stand in front of a full length mirror and do ALL of the following instructions at the same time. If you are not alone consider doing this exercise in the privacy of your room and/or bathroom, because you will very soon look exceptionally silly:
- Pick a spot on the top of the mirror (or wall if you prefer) and concentrate on it
- Create and/or fake a Duchenne Smile (a genuine smile). A genuine smile is the one that engages the muscles around the mouth and eyes.
- With your mouth closed, touch the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth.
- Hum the Happy Birthday song continuously
- Jump up and down
- Wave your arms up in the air
- Do this until the SUDS level lowers to 2 or below
Physiology State Elicitation
- Make a list of desirable states. For the sake of simplicity, Self Confidence will be used in this exercise as the desirable emotional state.
- Ask yourself these questions, then “act as if” and perform the suggested actions:
- How would you move if you were extremely Self Confident?
- How would your posture be if you were extremely Self Confident?
- What kind of mannerisms and gestures would you employ if you were extremely Self Confident?
- What kind of voice tempo and pitch would you use if you were extremely Self Confident?
- What kind of gaze would you use if you were extremely Self Confident? (Let me explain this one: a Self-Confident person will most likely utilize a soft and peripheral gaze; in comparison to a person that is in a Non-Confident/Anxious state, which will use a very focused and intense stare)
- How would you breathe if you were extremely Self Confident?
- Turn away from the mirror and practice these movements for a couple minutes (ensure that you are fully engaged).
- Notice how it feels to move your body Self-Confidently.
- Perceive how your frame of mind starts imitating the given state that you are practicing (Self-Confidence in this example).
- When your mind has fully translated and become one with the positive physiological movements that you are performing, then and only then, mentally imagine that such state has increased exponentially. At the peak of its intensity and in the pinnacle of the experience create a unique physical stimulus (in Neurolinguistic Programming this is called physical anchoring -e.g., touching your right thumb with your right forefinger )
This exercise should not take more than 3 to 5 minutes to complete. Practice the full exercise for 21 days. After doing it for 21 days or so, anytime you fire the physical anchor you will immediately enter the desired state.
Please share this blog, comment about your experiences below and if you have any questions please let me know. Have a wonderful day.
“Change your strategy, change your result. Change your story, change your life. Change your state – you change it all” ~ Antony Robbins